I write many recommendation letters per year, and it is a very important part of my job. To help the process run as smoothly as possible, please review this information before requesting a reference.
Request any references at least four weeks in advance, and send me all supporting materials at least two weeks before the first deadline.
What I need from you
Please send me all of the following information when requesting a reference. Even if I have written for you before, it is useful to have the information in one place.
- A short summary of our interactions in classes you’ve taken from me, especially any anecdotes or aspects of your work that you think I should highlight in the letter.
- Your CV / resume.
- Your transcript.
- Everything you will submit with your application (drafts are fine).
- Names of your other letter writers.
- A brief description of the programs or jobs to which you are applying, with deadlines.
- Detailed submission instructions, including where I should send letters and any submission webpages.
If a deadline is several days away and I have not yet submitted my letter, please send me a gentle reminder.