This course concerns the core theory of linear algebra, with specific attention to applications.
- My office hours in SMUD 401:
- Tuesday 11:00-12:30
- Wednesday 2:00-3:30
- Friday 10:00-11:30
- Allison Tanguay’s help hours:
- Monday-Thursday, 1:30-4:30 in the Q Center / Science Library
- Or book an appointment
- Sam Rothberg’s help hours:
- Tuesday 9-11pm in SMUD 207
- Wednesday 8-10pm in SMUD 204
Handouts and other items
- 9/4: Pictures of three planes meeting
- 9/26: Proof-writing examples
- 9/27: Lecture Notes 9/27 (climate strike day)
- 10/16: Least Squares Notes
- 10/21: Drawing from Least Squares proof
- 11/13: Least Squares in an IPS
Problem sets will be posted here. All problem sets are due at 10pm, via Gradescope.
- Course survey and Gradescope instructions (due 9/6)
- Problem Set 1 (due 9/11)
- Problem Set 2 (due 9/18)
- Problem Set 3 (due 9/25)
- Problem Set 4 (due 10/2)
- Problem Set 5 (now complete; due 10/16)
- Problem Set 6 (due 10/23)
- Problem Set 7 (due 10/30)
- Problem Set 8 (due 11/6)
- Problem Set 9 (due 11/13)
- Problem Set 10 (now complete; due 12/5 because of snow day)
- Problem Set 11 (due 12/11)
Each fundemental check is a short quiz given in class on the day specified. These are quizzes on more rote aspects of the course. You may retake any check as many times as you wish by coming to office hours and asking for a new one (at most one per day). To allow you to drill the skills, I will provide a bank of samples for each check here (with answers included).
- Lab 1: Intro to Mathematica (W 9/18)
- Lab 2: Linear combinations (F 10/4)
- Lab 3: Least Squares (W 10/23)
- Lab 4: Gram-Schmidt (F 11/8)
- Lab 5: Google PageRank algorithm (W 12/10)
Midterm 1: Wednesday 10/9, in class.
Midterm 2: Wednesday 11/20, in class.
Final Exam: Tuesday, 12/17 9am-12pm, SMUD 014.
- Remember to make a one-page note-sheet (front and back)!
- The final exam will be cumulative, but will place larger emphasis on topics covered after the second midterm.
- Sample Exam 1 (omit 4, 7(b)) / Solutions
- Sample Exam 2 / Solutions
- Sample Exam 3 / Solutions
- More old final exams for Math 272 and Math 271. Topics don’t always match what we covered in our class, but these may be useful review tools regardless.
- Exam / Solutions